Are you a Slowpoke Diva age 50 or better with dreams of participating in a triathlon at the National Senior Games but some part of your body won’t play well with one of the three sports? Here’s some great news from the National Senior Games!
The following is from the email announcement dated Sept. 21, 2018:
“[The organization] is pleased to announce plans to add triathlon relay as an “Open Sport” at next year’s National Senior Games.
An “Open Sport” is defined as a sport where no qualification is needed in order to participate in the event. Athletes will be able to compete in Tri Relay as a third team sport. You will register as you would for any other team sport on the National Senior Games registration site once registration opens on November 1, 2018.
Triathlon relays are becoming popular among triathletes across the country. The National Governing body – USAT and other sanctioned triathlons have added Triathlon Relays to their events. The addition of the relay will give the retired triathlete an opportunity to participate with two other teammates to complete all three elements of the race.
- The Tri Relay will be the first wave to enter the water during the Triathlon event on Saturday, June 22, 2019. If you compete on a relay team, you cannot compete in the individual triathlon.
- Triathletes will form a team of three. They will be required to find their own teammates or can place an ad on our Team/Partner Finder (same method used for other partner and team sports) which can be accessed under the NATIONAL GAMES tab on the NSGA website.
- Each member of the team will complete one element of the triathlon. One will complete the 400M swim, one will complete the 20K cycling course and lastly one will complete the 5K road race. (Two person teams are NOT allowed).
- The relay will be the first wave of the event. Age division wave for individuals will follow.
- The age of the youngest member of the team will determine the age division for the relay team.
- There will be three divisions: women, men and mixed relay categories.
- Team fee is $250
Please spread the word to fellow triathletes, swimmers, runners and cyclists. [We] hope you can join us and encourage others to participate in this new initiative!”
Special note — Nevada Senior Games triathlon:
Next Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018 is the Nevada Senior Games’ triathlon, the sprint race of the Las Vegas Triathlon at Lake Mead N.R.A. All NVSG-registered triathletes who finish the sprint will qualify for the individual triathlon at next year’s National Senior Games, the bienniel national championship for athletes ages 50 or better.
Deadline to register as a Nevada Senior Games’ participant is Wednesday, Sept. 26 at NevadaSeniorGames.com.